Fiber optic cable represents the pinnacle of high-speed data communication mediums.
Today’s low-loss glass fiber optic cable offers almost unlimited bandwidth and unique advantages over all previously developed transmission media.
Fiber optic transmission systems offer a wide range of benefits not offered by traditional copper wire or coaxial cable. These include:
- Higher Capacity – The ability to carry much more information and deliver it with greater fidelity than either copper wire or coaxial cable.
- Faster than Copper – Fiber optic cable can support much higher data rates, and at greater distances, than coaxial cable, making it ideal for transmission of serial digital data.
- Immune to Standard Interference – The fiber is totally immune to virtually all kinds of interference, including lightning, and will not conduct electricity. It can therefore come in direct contact with high voltage electrical equipment and power lines. It also does not create ground loops of any kind.
- Corrosion Resistant – As the basic fiber is made of glass, it will not corrode and is unaffected by most chemicals. It can be buried directly in most kinds of soil or exposed to most corrosive atmospheres in chemical plants without significant concern.
- Perfect for Hazardous Areas – Since the only carrier in the fiber is light, there is no possibility of a spark from a broken fiber. Even in the most explosive of atmospheres, there is no fire hazard, and no danger of electrical shock to personnel repairing broken fibers.
- Unaffected by Weather – Fiber optic cables are virtually unaffected by outdoor atmospheric conditions, allowing them to be lashed directly to telephone poles or existing electrical cables without concern for extraneous signal pickup.
- Smaller Cable – A fiber optic cable, even one that contains many fibers, is usually much smaller and lighter in weight than a wire or coaxial cable with similar information carrying capacity. It is easier to handle and install, and uses less duct space. (It can frequently be installed without ducts.)
- Secure – Fiber optic cable is ideal for secure communications systems because it is very difficult to tap but very easy to monitor. In addition, there is absolutely no electrical radiation from a fiber.
Icon Group can provide fiber optic cabling
Whether you’re looking for multimode or single mode fiber, Icon Group has fiber solutions to meet the demands of small, medium and large size businesses. From 2 strands to 1000 strands we can accommodate your needs.